Owl House Gardens

Mon Feb 24 2020 
Click Here for our online shop for a range of books of interest and locally produced products from the Kent countryside.
tunbridge_wells  
tunbridge_wells
YOU ARE HERE > TUNBRIDGE WELLS > PLACES OF INTEREST >
> OWL HOUSE GARDENS
 
tunbridge wells town
tunbridge wells town
The Owl House
The Owl House
The Wisteria Room
The Wisteria Room
The Owl House
Named for the night smugglers or 'Owlers' who traded English wool for French Brandy, they gave coded hoot-calls to avoid the tax inspectors. Mentioned in the Bodleian Library. Oxford, that in 1522 the tennants paid the monks from Bayham Abbey a yearly rental of one white cockerel.
   
The Gardens
The Owl House and gardens was created due to the passion of Lady Dufferin who purchased the property in the 50's, with dedication and hard work over the years she turned the cottage and gardens into the pleasure it is today. Planting roses, spring flowers, rare flowering shrubs and ornamental fruit trees, expanding the lawns and making woodland walks through birch, beech, and English Oak. On the property there was an old disused ironworks that supplied the gates for St Paul's Catherdral. The hammer ponds that were used by the ironworks were transformed into informal sunken water gardens banked by willow, rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias.
The Owl House and gardens
 
Location
rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias

Location: Lamberhurst
Admission: Adults £4.00. Children £1.00

Open: 11.00am - 6.00pm Daily throughout the year except Christmas Day and News Years Day.

Tel: 01892 890 230